21 contenders for national elections in 2013
- Category: News
- Published: Saturday, 12 January 2013 11:34
- Written by Congress News
- Hits: 3313
November 28, 2012
PALIKIR, POHNPEI – The Office of the National Elections Director has notified Speaker Isaac V. Figir of the Seventeenth Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia that 21 candidates will be on the ballots for the National General Elections of March 5, 2013.
National Elections Director Albert T. Welly transmitted a listing of 21 candidates vying for the two-year seats in the upcoming Eighteenth Congress. The Director’s letter of November 20 2012, noted that review of the nomination petitions filed on November 5 concluded that all petitioners met the requirements specified under the regulations for National Elections and submitted for the next general election of the National Government the following official candidates:
State of Yap
Election District 1 (Yap State):
1. Mr. Isaac V. Figir (incumbent) - unopposed
State of Chuuk
Election District 1 – Mortlocks :
1. Mr. Florencio Singkoro Harper (incumbent) – unopposed
Election District 2 – Northern Namoneas:
1. Mr. Roger S. Mori (incumbent); and
2. Mr. Victory(Vicky) S. Gouland.
Election District 3 - Southern Namoneas:
1. Ms. Augustina S. Takashy;
2. Mr. Bonsiano Fasy Nethon (incumbent); and
3. Mr. Michael M. Kanas.
Election District 4 - Faichuuk:
1. Mr. Setiro Paul; and
2. Mr. Tiwiter Aritos( incumbent).
Election District 5 – Northwestern:
1. Mr. Moses A. Nelson;
2. Mr. Robson U. Romolow;
3. Mr. Ruphin Micky;
4. Mr. Tony H. Otto (incumbent); and
5. Mr. Williander Jack.
State of Pohnpei
Election District 1 – Sokesh, Kolonia, Sapwuahfik, Nukuoro, Kapingamarangi and Oroluk:
1. Mr. Dohsis Halbert (Incumbent); and
2. Mr. Ferny S. Perman.
Election District 2 – Madolenihmw and Kitti:
1. Mr. Berney Martin (incumbent); and
2. Mr. Dion G. Neth.
Election District 3 – Nett, U, Mwoakilloa and Pingelap:
1. Mr. David W. Panuelo (incumbent) – unopposed.
State of Kosrae
Election District 1
1. Mr. Johnson A. Asher; and
2. Mr. Paliknoa K. Welly (incumbent).
The Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia is unicameral law making body with fourteen Senators. Four members serve as at-large representative of each State for a 4-yr term. The other ten (10) members are apportioned by state population to serve a 2-yr term. The overall composition of the FSM Congress is Chuuk has six seats, with Pohnpei four and Chuuk and Yap two each.
According to the Director’s letter, the official candidates will, on Tuesday – March 5, 2013, vie for the 10 seats in the FSM Congress that are apportioned per population to serve a two-year term.